Many things have changed since the Green Revolution after World War II. Large scale industrialization took place in every sector and the Agriculture Industry exploded –thanks to synthetic fertilizers & pesticides, hybridization of seeds, and other field management techniques. Though the immediate effect were beneficial, the unseen impact of this green revolution is becoming evident now. Traditional farming till then was “organic” and there were no inorganic method of cultivation.
Post Industrial Revolution, probably the most significant revolution was in the IT sector. The next boom is happening in the health care industry. The total health care industry size is expected to touch US$ 160 billion by 2017 and US$ 280 billion by 20202!! It’s a growth of 75% in just three years!! The reason for this growth lies in a number of factors including chemical farming, wrong diets, unhealthy life choices, stressful work culture and environmental pollution.
Life Style Diseases on the Rise:
Do you know that India is the capital of diabetes in the world ? Every year, more than 700,000 people die because of Cancer in India alone. Incidences of heart, kidney and neurological diseases have become common. We are living in the era of life style diseases and the definition of primary health care has to be changed. Each house hold has to become a primary health care center. We are interacting with increasing number of toxic chemicals in our daily life. It starts from toothpaste (e.g., Sodium Laurel Sulphate), detergents, canned foods (e.g., lead), bug sprays etc.
What can We Do ?
Some simple steps taken at home can go long way. Some changes are required in our daily life to control or stop our interactions with chemicals.
- Go for local organic foods.
- Switch to whole grains (millets, brown rice etc.). Learn to cook them properly.
- Fermenting, sprouting will increase the nutritional qualities of the grains.
- Use good oil (e.g. coconut oil) for cooking.
- Consume lots of vegetables, fruits and greens.
- Always opt for country side free range (pasture fed) eggs or meat.
- No junk foods, refined foods (maida, sugar etc.), processed food (canned foods) or carbonated drinks.
- Do not use synthetic food colors, taste makers, preservatives etc. In your food preparation.
- Some form of daily physical exercises (cycling, swimming, yoga, running etc.) is a must.
- Drink copious amount of water – Keep yourself hydrated
- Good sleep
- Come out of your work cabins or home and get sufficient sun light daily. Take a walk or run.
- Throw away your soaps, tooth pastes, shampoos, laundry powder, detergents, cleaners and any other possible chemicals that you are using ! Look for alternatives – there are lots of them. By doing this you are staying away from all harmful chemicals which are carcinogens (SLSs, parabens etc.)
- Turn to age old proven methods (traditional medicines like Ayrurveda) for simple problems like cold, cough etc.
Lets not forget that our mother Earth needs to be taken care. Automobile exhausts, industrial discharges, solid waste dumping, etc is taking a toll on Earth and its inhabitants. There is a shift in environmental patterns and ecology due to extensive exploitation by humans . There is a deep need for humans to introspect on his activities. Priorities has to be set right.